Thyroid Gland Scans
An ultrasound scan of the thyroid produces pictures of the thyroid gland and the adjacent structures in the neck. The thyroid gland is located in front of the neck just above the collar bones and is shaped like a butterfly, with one lobe on either side of the neck connected by a narrow band of tissue.
Thyroid gland scans are typically used to:
- Determine if a lump in the neck is arising from the thyroid or an adjacent structure
- Analyse the appearance of thyroid nodules
- Look for additional nodules in patients with one or more nodules felt on physical exam
- Assess the size and nature of the thyroid tissue.
You should wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing for your ultrasound exam. You may need to remove clothing and jewellery in the neck area.
The patient is positioned lying face-up on an examination table that can be tilted back. A pillow may be placed behind the shoulders to extend the area to be scanned for a thyroid ultrasound exam. This is especially important for a small child with very little space between the chin and the chest.
The examination will be carried out by a qualified Sonographer. The procedure is non-invasive and painless. The Sonographer will move a transducer lubricated with warm gel over the neck. You are welcome to ask questions after your examination as talking during the examination will disrupt the scan. The results are immediate and a written report will be given to you.
- Home -Fatima Gani
- Contact Us
- Profile & Credentials
- In The Press
- Customer Reviews
- Pregnancy Scans
- 2D + Dynamic 4D/HD Scans
- Early Pregnancy Confirmation Scan (6-10 weeks)
- Nuchal Translucency Scan (11-14 weeks)
- Pregnancy Scan (14-18 weeks)
- Anomaly Pregnancy Scans (19-24 weeks)
- Foetal Growth Scans (25 – 36 Weeks)
- Foetal Well-being Scans (36 – 40 Weeks)
- Medical Scans
- Gynaecological (Pelvic) Scans
- Infertility Scans
- Abdominal Scans
- Breast Scans
- Emergency Scans
- Muscles & Joints Scans
- Testicular & Prostate Scans
- Thyroid Gland Scans
- Doppler Scans
- General Information
- Pregnancy & Medical Scans (Information)
- Ultrasound Pregnancy Questions & Answers
- USEFUL INFORMATION
- Medical Centre Directions
- Location & Directions
- Book Your Scan Here
- Thank You